When filing a Chapter 7 Voluntary Petition am I required to send advance notice of the filing to my creditors prior to filing.

Asked almost 2 years ago - Nashville, TN

I'm filing a Chapter 7 Voluntary Petition.
I'm an individual with primarily consumer debt.

1. Robert Michael Fox

2

Best Answer

Answered . Nope. That is what the 306. court filing fee is for. After listing all your creditors, along with their respective addresses, the court will send out notice of your BK to them. This process generally takes about a week or so. If you are in danger of an immediate foreclosure, wage garnishment or a car repo, i suggest you have your attorney send a letter with a notice of your filing/case # to the attorneys for that creditor.

2. Diane L Gruber

Pro

2

1

Answered . Nope! But you ARE required to list every creditor WITH addresses so the court can notify them after you file. Talk with a BK attorney.

3. Michael Kim

1

1

Answered . No you are not. Your creditors must be listed in your schedules and will be notified by the court.

4. Gary D. Bollinger

1

1

Answered . You wrote, "When filing a Chapter 7 Voluntary Petition am I required to send advance notice of the filing to my creditors prior to filing."

Comment:
    Filing a Chapter 7 or 13, with rare exception, causes the court to automatically enter a stay of collection proceedings, such as repossession of a vehicle by the lender.

Sending out a "Proposal of Bankruptcy" to Creditors would increase the chance that some Creditors would hasten to take a collection action (repossession, for example) while it would still be legal.

5. Dorothy G Bunce

Pro

1

Answered . No, why would you think you needed to do this? Sounds like you desperately need legal representation. Hope this perspective helps!