When does the clock start on time-barred credit card debt?

Vineburg, CA |

It's my understanding that the amount of time for a credit card debt to be considered time-barred in California is four years. However I'm hearing conflicting opinions on when that clock starts (date of original default or last payment).. My credit report says for one account that the date of original default was two years ago but the last payment was one year ago..........which date should I use to determine time-barred status should I need to in the future?

Last Payment. The four year statute of limitation begins to run from the last date you made any kind of payment.

Disclaimer. The information posted above is for general information, does not constitute professional legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship. I am a corporate-business, employment and real estate attorney located in Los Angeles, California.

Recommended articles about Bankruptcy and debt