When does my surname changes to my husbands legally after 6 months of marriage in Africa. It was a court marriage..

I got married an my African husband but on our marriage certificate,my surname was not changed to his surname..When and how would i legally bare his surname.And please we do not have funds to start a K3 visa..We trying to get a B2 visa..what are his chances of getting a B2 visa..Please help

Are you in California? If you are then you can request the court by petition. If you're working on a visa you really ought to ask your lawyer as to whether its prudent to change your ne during the visa process.

Ms. Johns can be reached at (866) 402-4038. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless and until you have consulted with her and signed a fee or letter agreement confirming her representation of you. This email does not otherwise constitute legal advice or create an attorney client relationship. Ms. Johns and her employees are not tax lawyers or financial advisors and do not give tax or financial advice of any kind. If you wish such services, please consult with the appropriate professional in that field.

Last names are not automatically changed in California, you must start using your new name. Your marriage certificate should serve as adequate proof for institutions needing proof.

But Ms. Johns is wise to point out you should not change anything until you've spoken with your attorney.

This answer does not make me your attorney. My answer was only intended to provide general information and cannot be construed as legal advice. No attorney can offer advice without detailed background information which may reveal hidden issues and concerns impossible to anticipate in this format. This response does not establish an attorney/client relationship. I do not check this website regularly, so I may not respond to further postings here. I strongly advise the reader to seek the counsel of a qualified attorney or consult a legal self-help center in their local jurisdiction as laws, rules, and procedures vary from place to place. IRS CIRCULAR 230 DISCLOSURE: To ensure compliance with requirements imposed by the IRS, please be advised that any U.S. Federal tax advice contained in this communication (including any attachments) is not intended or written to be used or relied upon, and cannot be used or relied upon, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.

State, local, and municipal law topics