When does my surname changes to my husbands legally after 6 months of marriage in Africa. It was a court marriage..

Asked over 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I got married an my African husband but on our marriage certificate,my surname was not changed to his surname..When and how would i legally bare his surname.And please we do not have funds to start a K3 visa..We trying to get a B2 visa..what are his chances of getting a B2 visa..Please help

Attorney answers (2)

  1. 1

    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Are you in California? If you are then you can request the court by petition. If you're working on a visa you really ought to ask your lawyer as to whether its prudent to change your ne during the visa process.

    Ms. Johns can be reached at (866) 402-4038. Ms. Johns is a lawyer although she is not your lawyer unless and... more
  2. Answered . Last names are not automatically changed in California, you must start using your new name. Your marriage certificate should serve as adequate proof for institutions needing proof.

    But Ms. Johns is wise to point out you should not change anything until you've spoken with your attorney.

    This answer does not make me your attorney. My answer was only intended to provide general information and cannot... more

Related Topics

Marriage and prenups

Entering into a prenuptial agreement before marriage can protect certain assets in the event of a divorce, but such agreements must be carefully written.

State, local, and municipal law

State, local, and municipal laws only apply to one location. However, these laws cover many subjects, such as land use, public services, and education policy.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,680 answers this week

3,654 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,680 answers this week

3,654 attorneys answering