When does my surname changes to my husbands legally after 6 months of marriage in Africa. It was a court marriage..

Asked almost 2 years ago - Los Angeles, CA

I got married an my African husband but on our marriage certificate,my surname was not changed to his surname..When and how would i legally bare his surname.And please we do not have funds to start a K3 visa..We trying to get a B2 visa..what are his chances of getting a B2 visa..Please help

1. Hillary Johns

1

Answered . Are you in California? If you are then you can request the court by petition. If you're working on a visa you really ought to ask your lawyer as to whether its prudent to change your ne during the visa process.

2. Ty R Supancic

Answered . Last names are not automatically changed in California, you must start using your new name. Your marriage certificate should serve as adequate proof for institutions needing proof.

But Ms. Johns is wise to point out you should not change anything until you've spoken with your attorney.