When does my child support obligation end?

Asked over 1 year ago - Northville, MI

My daughter, who resides in Texas, is 18 years old, but will turn 19 in May. She is scheduled to graduate from high school in June. If she does not when will it be terminated?

1. John J. Keenan

1

Answered . It depends on what your child support order/judgment of divorce says and what state it was issued in.

In Michigan, generally, it would end when she graduates from high school as she is already 18, but not 19 1/2.

But, you need to check the language of your order/judgment. Also, if it was entered in Texas, you need to re-post this question with your location being in Texas. Michigan attorneys cannot address questions specific to the law in other states, unless they are licensed to practice in those states.

John J. Keenan

2. Scott Joseph Longton

Pro

Answered . If she does not graduate then your child support will end when she is 19 and 1/2 years old so long as she remains in school.

Sincerely,
    Longton Law Offices