When does custodial parent's attempted suicide affect custody?

Asked almost 3 years ago - Upland, CA

My ex-wife (primary custodial parent of our 2 minor kids) attempted suicide; is hospitalized as a result. The kids were with me at the time. She texted my 12 year old daughter before her 'attempt' that, "I just want you and [my son's name] to know how much I love you." I learned later that she had been hospitalized (my 18 year old daughter said "Mom had one of her episodes."). No one will provide me with any 'details' (perhaps none of my business). I kept the kids last night, and got them to school, missing some work this morning.

Having custody would be awful for the kids, and not easy for me either. So I'm conflicted. If the ex is unbalanced, I want the kids with me. I am remarried (with step-kids) and could provide a stable household for them.

Advice?

1. Edmund Lee Montgomery

Pro

Answered . If your Ex attempted suicide and is hospitalized you need to file for emergency custody orders now and get custody of your children. Your children could be in harm’s way.
    If you do not react and seek custody of your children CPS could become involved and remove your children because you are not protecting them.
    THIS IS SERIOUS.
    You read in the newspaper about parents who commit suicide and take their children with them. Several children die each year when a parent commits suicide and takes their children's lives also. Protect you children.

2. James Louis Miller

Pro

Answered . There are several attorneys who offer free consultations, there are also legal aid societies everywhere. This is not something you can just let sit. You need to get an ex-parte hearing set immediately.

I wish the best.