When does a shop report shoplifting to the Police?

Asked 4 months ago - Dallas, TX

A shop reported me to the police because of dishonesty and shoplifting. Police contacted me and wants to talk me. Now I would like to know when and under what circumstances a store report to the police after the person leaves their shop? Have they caught me on the camera? In the fitting room or they are only suspecting? Is The fact that the police has not arrested me a good sign? Does it mean they have no proof yet or ...?etc. please help

1. Cynthia Russell Henley

6

1

Answered . You do not know what they have and do not have. What you know is that there is nothing you can say to help yourself as they will twist and turn your words and write down only what they want & later claim you did not say anything that would help you. Do NOT talk to them without a lawyer. Hire a lawyer to represent you.

2. Thomas Curtis Locke

3

1

Answered . Unless a police officer witnesses an alleged theft than a complaint must be filed with the police department to move forward. The police then forward their information to the District Attorney’s Office. Once there depending on whether it is a felony or misdemeanor it will either go to a Grand Jury or an information and complaint will be filed. Remember anyone can make an allegation against you with great evidence or no evidence at all. Heed the other fine attorneys’ advice that responded to your question and hire an attorney and do not give any statement without first be represented by counsel. There is a tendency for people to believe they can explain a charge away on their own. That is a foolish move. Get an attorney in your area that handles criminal defense.

3. Macy Michelle Jaggers

Pro

3

1

Answered . Only the police know what kind of evidence they have against you. Do not hand them a case by giving them a statement. You can either hire an attorney to start working on it now or wait and see if you ever get arrested.

4. J. Denise Carter

3

1

Answered . I agree with Ms. Henley, do not talk with the police at all. You will want a lawyer if they pursue this, but start by telling them you would want a lawyer present if they want to question you. In terms of what evidence they have, well you know what you did or didn't do and you should have some idea whether it is possible that they have evidence on you. If so, then you should have more concern and speak with a lawyer immediately. Good Luck.