When does a sentence of probation actually end?

Asked over 3 years ago - New Haven, CT

I was given a suspended sentenced of 6 months/18 months probation for a DUI. I was arrested for misdemeanor charges and spent a little time in jail before posting bond. That case is awaiting a very favorable disposition and I got no indication that the state would seek a violation for that. Otherwise, I believe that I complied with the other terms of probation. In addition, one day AFTER the 18 month period lapsed, I saw my probation officer at his office and his exact words to me were "you're all set". I just checked my voice mails and found one from him asking to call. My question is this: Once the 18 months of probation pass, what exactly happens to my file? Does it go to the original sentencing judge, the SA? In other words, can probation in CT be violated/revoked AFTER the 18 months?

1. Howard M Lewis

Pro

1

7

Answered . unless the term of your proabation is extended due to a violation it is 18 months from the date of the plea. good luck and take care.

2. Kevin Murray Smith

1

Best Answer

Answered . So long as you complied with all the terms of your probation, then it should have ended at the 18 month mark such that that case could not be re-opened. However, the date of your arrest could potentially be a problem. If your arrest came before the end of the 18 months, your probation officer could conceivably attempt to violate you, and if he does then your probation would automatically be put on hold until that violation of probation is resolved, either by way of a plea or a hearing to contest the charge.

Feel free to call me if you wish to discuss it further, but be sure to speak with an attorney even if you do not call me, as your liberty could be in jeopardy.