When does a restricted license begin/end?

Asked over 1 year ago - Flint, MI

If you get pulled over for a driving related crime, when does the restriction begin? Is it immediately/day of the offense, day of pleading or day of sentencing? Thanks all!!

Attorney answers (5)

  1. Jared Clayton Austin

    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Once you are found guilty either by a plea or at trial, notice of the conviction will be sent to the Secretary of State. Usually you will get a letter from the Secretary of State in about two weeks detailing the dates of your restrictions or suspended license.

  2. Scott Matthew Aaronson

    Contributor Level 13


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . If it is an owi related offense, you are usually issued a paper temporary license. This works the same as any valid license. Once you are convicted and the abstract is sent to the Secretary of State, you usually have a week or two before you get a letter from the Secretary of State that will indicate the date your license will be suspended or restricted.

    Attorney Scott Aaronson
    Free consultations

  3. Becket J. Jones


    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . I agree with the other responses on this thread, but would point out one additional thing in this matter. The Secretary of State is not required to track you down to give you notice of your suspension / restrictions. They simply need to send notice to your last known address (i.e. the address on your Michigan Driver's License).

    If your current address is different from the one on your driver's license, you need to immediately head to a Secretary of State branch office to make the change. If you are later pulled over for Driving Outside your Restrictions / Driving While License Suspended, you can't argue that you didn't receive notice if the reason is because you no longer lived at the address on your driver's license when the Secretary of State sent the notice out.

    Be proactive.

    Best of Luck.

    An Attorney-Client relationship has not been established. Becket J. Jones is not your attorney. In order to... more
  4. David B. Carter Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The day the SOS gets notified. SOS will then send a letter to your last known address.

  5. Daniel Nelson Deasy

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . It depends. Were you served on the scene with the notice of revocation?

    In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship.... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,996 answers this week

3,375 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,996 answers this week

3,375 attorneys answering