When does a person's probation begin

Las Vegas, NV |

This person was just appointed a different probation officer. In the court room the Judge told them no alcohol (for an unknown reason). Nothing was signed by the person sentenced which I guess is the way other states ensure you understand your probation conditions. They haven't even met with their new officer either. They will meet on 9/11. The only thing they've signed is an orientation paper which asks for their address/job etc. It does not state how long they'll be on probation or the conditions. So is probation in effect once they sign those papers or is it already in effect?

If a judge sentenced the defendant to a term of probation, it begins right then at the time of imposition of sentencing. A written Judgment of Probation will be entered by the clerk after sentencing. The defendant will meet with his PO and go over all the terms and conditions in writing and will sign them.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..

Ok but what if the person doesn't know their conditions let alone how long they're even being placed on probation and the person has a drink before even knowing what they can and can't do?

Frank Mascagni III

Frank Mascagni III

Whatever the judge said were conditions are the conditions. Go to the criminal court clerk's office and request a copy of the judge's order. Ask the criminal defense attorney who represented him at sentencing.

It will be ordered that probation not exceed a term of years so you should know the length of probation already. In addition to the conditions imposed by the Judge, the PO can also impose other conditions.

The information presented here is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The Goodman Law Group, P.C. recommends that you consult an attorney with experience in your specific legal issue. Please contact us to schedule a confidential discussion of your situation. Such communication does not create an attorney-client relationship of any kind until a formal engagement agreement is signed by both you and the Goodman Law Group, P.C.