When does a landlord have to give notice of where my deposit is being held

Asked over 1 year ago - Miami, FL

My previous landlord didn't give me notice of my deposit whereabouts..can i receive all of it back

1. Paul S Vicary

5

Answered . The landlord is supposed to supply this information in the written lease agreement. However, the failure of the landlord to provide this information is not a basis to get your entire deposit back. There is a specific process for reclaiming your deposit.

2. Edward J. Fucillo

5

Answered . I agree with Mr. Vicary and add that you should refer to Florida Statute 83.49 (3) which requires that you object within 15 days of your landlord's notice of intent to impose a claim on your security deposit.

3. Carol Lynne Zimmerly

Pro

3

Answered . the landlord has 30 days from receipt of security deposit to tell you the information, but it is not grounds for return of your deposit if he/she fails to do so.

4. William H. Kassebaum

2

Answered . Only if he/she owns more than 5 rental units are they required to disclose or if he/she is commingling funds in an interest bearing account. Landlord does not have to tell you per CHAPTER 83 otherwise. Only that money is being held in an approved Florida banking account ie BofA or bank of south miami as example. Hope this helps- Bill