When does a landlord have to give notice of where my deposit is being held

Miami, FL |

My previous landlord didn't give me notice of my deposit whereabouts..can i receive all of it back

The landlord is supposed to supply this information in the written lease agreement. However, the failure of the landlord to provide this information is not a basis to get your entire deposit back. There is a specific process for reclaiming your deposit.

Mr. Vicary is licensed to practice law in Florida. The response herein is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter within the question. Oftentimes the question does not include significant and important facts and timelines that, if known, could significantly change the reply and make it unsuitable. Mr. Vicary strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in your state in order to ensure proper advice is received.

I agree with Mr. Vicary and add that you should refer to Florida Statute 83.49 (3) which requires that you object within 15 days of your landlord's notice of intent to impose a claim on your security deposit.

The hiring of an attorney is an important decision that should not be based solely upon advertisements. Before you decide, ask us to send you free written information about our qualifications and experience. The information provided by this website is not intended, nor should it be construed, to be legal advice. Your use of this website, and/or the sending of information to the Fucillo Law Firm, P.L., does not establish an attorney/client relationship. Please do not send us any confidential or privileged information until such time that an actual attorney/client relationship is actually established.

Only if he/she owns more than 5 rental units are they required to disclose or if he/she is commingling funds in an interest bearing account. Landlord does not have to tell you per CHAPTER 83 otherwise. Only that money is being held in an approved Florida banking account ie BofA or bank of south miami as example. Hope this helps- Bill

DISCLAIMER: This answer is not legal advice nor does it create an attorney-client relationship between any user/reader and The Law Offices of Kassebaum, Robinson & Abelairas, P.A. We encourage and welcome you to contact us about your legal problems and visit our website at www.kralawyers.com or email me at bill@kralawyers.com

the landlord has 30 days from receipt of security deposit to tell you the information, but it is not grounds for return of your deposit if he/she fails to do so.

Landlord-tenant topics