Skip to main content

When do you seek an Attorney after an accident. I fell on a stairwell not maintained by the College.

Pittsburgh, PA |

This sidewalk and stairs are maintained by building and grounds department but when the students are not on campus they save money and do not remove snow and ice..
I fell and broke my leg and ankle in seven places and currently on work men's comp.
Doctor said 6 to 8 weeks before back to work if things go right....

Attorney Answers 8

  1. The sooner you consult with local and qualified counsel the better the opportunity for your attorney to try to protect any potential case that you may have. Additionally, there are usually short filing requirements. What concerns me is that you are receiving wc. Are you employed by the university?

    Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff

  2. I assume from the fact that you are on WC that you work for the university. Unless a third party was responsible for the clearing you would not have a viable personal injury claim.

  3. You can call a workers compensation lawyer in Pittsburgh today.

  4. You should consult with an experienced workers compensation or personal injury attorney sooner rather than later. As was previously mentioned, thee are time restrictions that could affect your ability to seek compensation.

  5. If you work for the University, it is unlikely you will be able to make a claim beyond Workers Comp. However, you should consult with an attorney as soon as possible to discuss your unfortunate incident.

  6. If you are employed by the college it does not matter if the college was careless and didn't clean the sidewalk. All that matters is that you were hurt during the scope and course of your employment. You would be entitled to workers compensation benefits which basically means you get all your medical bills related to the fall paid and approximately two thirds of your pay--you do not get any money for how this injury may affect your life/pain and suffering. The "trade" for workers was compensation--wages/medical bills--without having to prove the employer did anything wrong--just that it happened during work was that you could not make a claim for pain and suffering. Now if someone other than the college is responsible for keeping the grounds clear of snow and ice than you can make a workers compensation claim against your employer AND a separate claim against that "separate" company. Seek the advice of local counsel in Pittsburgh as soon as possible to ensure your rights are protected and that you explore all possibilities for recovery on this claim. I hope your condition improves soon.

    If you feel this is the "best" answer or is "helpful," please indicate. Since I am limited to the information you provide, I cannot guarantee the accuracy of the answer. You should seek the advise of an attorney who can explore all aspects of your question. This communication does not form an attorney client relationship.

  7. If you feel the college was negligent in some way you should consult an Atty. immediately. If you are employed by the college you cannot sue them. A compensation lawyer will meet with you at no costs to discuss your rights and how best to protect your interests.

  8. The sooner you consult with an attorney, the better. He can advise you of your rights as it relates to a possible worker's comp case.

Lawsuits and disputes topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics