When do you get approve letter from ssdi?

Asked 10 months ago - Lakewood, WA

I have some question about ssdi benefits..
I applied ssdi benefits on 5/15/13
and then they request more info.
so i went to social socurity office on 5/25/13
then they want me to see another dr. So i went to dr's office on 8/20/13
When I asked office lady on 5/25/13 about approve letter, she told me to wait 60-90 days..
But i waited 105 days so far as of today and i didnt get approved or denied letter yet.
This is my first time apply & i dont have attorney & i didnt applied ssi
Here is my question..
1. How long do you need to wait to get approve letter ?
2. What is back pay ? And how much will i get ? ( she said i will get $825 each month if i get approved)
Plz explain me about back pay. Am i eligiable ?
3. If they approve Am i get medical benefits too ? Or only cash benefit?

1. Elizabeth Fowler Lunn

6

1

Answered . The time you were given, 60-90 days is an estimate. However, many people wait longer than that, especially when you are sent to see a doctor. This is called a consultative exam. Once that doctor turns in their report, your file must be reviewed. This can take 30 days or more. You can call to check on the status, but unfortunately no one is going to be able to tell you exactly how long it will be.

Backpay is payment for the months that you have been approved for disability that have already passed. For example, if Social Security finds that you became disabled in January of 2013, your Social Security benefits (not SSI) would have started July 2013 and you would be owed backpay for July, August and September. There is a full five-month waiting period for disability benefits, so that is why the backpay only goes to July. SSI does not have a waiting period and benefits start the month after the approval, so in my example, SSI backpay would go to February 2013.
    The amount of your backpay depends on when you are found to be disabled and the amount of your monthly benefits.
    You will get medical benefits, but the type depends on what type of benefits you receive. SSI benefits (Supplemental Security Income comes with Medicaid. Regular disability benefits come with Medicare, but there is a 24 month waiting period before they start. The 24 months starts from payment eligibility, not disability, so in my example above Medicare would not kick in until July 2015.
    Statistics show that a majority of applicants are denied on their initial application for benefits. If you are denied, make sure to file your appeal on time and I would suggest speaking to an experienced Social Security attorney in your area.

2. Clifford Michael Farrell

2

Answered . My colleague has given a very good answer.

If you are denied, I agree - get an attorney. You may contact your local city, county or state bar association to see if they have a lawyer referral program, or you may contact your local legal aid office if you cannot afford an attorney. If there is a law school in your area, you may contact their legal clinic as well.

You may also contact the National Organization of Social Security Claimants' Representatives (NOSSCR) for the name and email address or telephone number of attorneys in your area. The telephone number for the lawyer referral service of NOSSCR is 1-800-431-2804. NOSSCR's website is www.nosscr.org.

In addition, you can find a Board certified specialist in Social Security by contacting the National Board of Trial Advocacy. They evaluate lawyers (independently) in many types of claims and require extensive experience and testing before a lawyer is certified. They have a section specifically for Social Security: The National Board of Social Security Disability Advocacy, Divisions of the National Board of Legal Specialty Certification.

Their link is: http://www.nblsc.us/

I hope this information helps. Good luck to you!
    ------------------------------------------
    Please remember to designate a best answer to your question.

3. D K Kevin Dugan

1

Answered . How quickly you get a decision depends on many factors. The first decision may take 6 months, You do not get back benefits for the waiting period but you will for any period after that up until time you are actually approved, if you ever are. Know that most people are denied the first time and have to appeal. You should consult with an attorney by phone or in person to get an opinion regarding your personal case.