When do I notify my employer and confirm a renewed green card?

Asked about 1 year ago - Atlanta, GA

I have an expired green card. I am currently on a student visa (F-1) on OPT and am employed. I recently applied for a green card renewal and was approved. How do I know when my status has changed, and when do I inform my employer about this? (I haven't received the new green card yet) Also, do I need to go to a US consulate in my home country to confirm/enforce status change?

Thank you all for the input! Just to elaborate - I moved away from the US about 15 years ago. My original green card expired 6 years ago. 2 years ago, I applied for an F-1 visa and during the interview, I showed the original I551 stamp on my mother's passport, but was not told anything about my PR status. I assumed that I had gone out of status, seeing that they approved the F-1 visa. I recently talked to an immigration lawyer who suggested I put in the 1-90 renewal application, but did not tell me what it would imply if the request was approved.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

15

1

Answered . If you have a green card, why are you on a student visa?

2. Irene Vaisman

5

1

Answered . Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but you can't have a green card (expired or not) and be on a student visa?

3. Alexander Joseph Segal

5

1

Answered . If you have a LPR status, it does not expire. ONly the car does. You are an LPR and have been since the day you got it first.

4. Laura L Lichter

3

1

Answered . As my colleagues have noted, if you are a permanent resident, you would not need a student visa. If you lost your status due to abandonment, just applying for a replacement card does NOT mean you actually have the status.

There are significant risks associated with your situation. Talk to an immigration lawyer about your situation immediately to avoid the possibility that you may be inappropriately claiming that status and especially before you travel outside the US.