Skip to main content

When do I notify my employer and confirm a renewed green card?

Atlanta, GA |

I have an expired green card. I am currently on a student visa (F-1) on OPT and am employed. I recently applied for a green card renewal and was approved. How do I know when my status has changed, and when do I inform my employer about this? (I haven't received the new green card yet) Also, do I need to go to a US consulate in my home country to confirm/enforce status change?

Thank you all for the input! Just to elaborate - I moved away from the US about 15 years ago. My original green card expired 6 years ago. 2 years ago, I applied for an F-1 visa and during the interview, I showed the original I551 stamp on my mother's passport, but was not told anything about my PR status. I assumed that I had gone out of status, seeing that they approved the F-1 visa. I recently talked to an immigration lawyer who suggested I put in the 1-90 renewal application, but did not tell me what it would imply if the request was approved.

Attorney Answers 4

  1. Maybe I am misunderstanding something, but you can't have a green card (expired or not) and be on a student visa?

    Irene Vaisman, Esq. 11 Broadway, Suite 615 New York, NY 10004 (646) 253-0516 This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (646) 253-0516.

  2. If you have a green card, why are you on a student visa?

    (213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.

  3. If you have a LPR status, it does not expire. ONly the car does. You are an LPR and have been since the day you got it first.

    NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.

  4. As my colleagues have noted, if you are a permanent resident, you would not need a student visa. If you lost your status due to abandonment, just applying for a replacement card does NOT mean you actually have the status.

    There are significant risks associated with your situation. Talk to an immigration lawyer about your situation immediately to avoid the possibility that you may be inappropriately claiming that status and especially before you travel outside the US.

    This answer provides only general information and may not be relied on as legal advice. For more information about immigration law and policy, please visit or follow us on twitter (@lauralichter) or facebook, www.facebook/lichterimmigration. To find an immigration lawyer in your area, log on to Listed attorneys have been members of the American Immigration Lawyers Association, the nation's premier bar association for immigration lawyers, for at least two years, comply with annual continuing legal education (CLE) requirements and carry malpractice insurance.

Immigration topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

An attorney can help.

Post a question and get free legal advice from attorneys.

Ask a Lawyer

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics