When did Texas make buying "bath salt powders" illegal/

San Angelo, TX |

Today I was told that video from headshops, adult product stores and similar businesses in Texas were being reviewed and then arrest warrants would be issued for ALL who purchased such products and that all stores selling these products would be closed and fined.

Bath salts are believed to be a mix of synthetic cocaine and a form of Ecstasy. Its main component, MDPV (3,4-Methylenedioxypyrovalerone), is a synthetic product of the drug pyrovalerone, a Schedule V psychoactive drug. It is a stimulant usually sold in salt form with the appearance of powder, white to tan/brown in color with a slight odor. Bath salts also come in pill form.

These chemicals do not contain sea salt of Epson salt that usually found in bath salts. I you have purchased some of these items, contact a local attorney to assist you. The state will have a difficult time with intent unless they have evidence beyond just a purchase at a store.

2. It is only logical to assume that any attempts to mask sales of controlled substances by naming them differently will be prosecuted if upon laboratory examination such substances contain controlled compounds or drugs. I think any state and Texas in that respect has a vested interest to protect the public from such surreptitious attempts to offer harmful and illicit substances to buyers.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional information, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and materials provided above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual and legal circumstances related to one’s personal legal issues. Contact an experienced criminal defense lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a competent legal advice before making any important decisions about your particular legal issue. For further inquiries please contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602 http://alexanderivakhnenko.com

3. Don't know about any video review and subsequent arrests, but "bath salts" (to include such items as K2 and Spice) became illegal under Texas law in Sep 2011 - Feds banned it in Jul/Aug, I believe

State, local, and municipal law topics