When did Avvo remove the ability for attorneys to change or add to the area of law that questioners selected?

Asked 10 months ago - New York, NY

I'm a frequent attorney contributor to this site who just noticed that you don't seem able to change the area of law a questioner miscatagorized the question under (typically "Family Law" or "Ethics" for questions which involved neither area). Has anyone else noticed this?

(Oh, I see, when the question is asked, the website automagically seems to try to categorize the questions based on the text in the questions and gives the questioners some choices.)

And don't you think Avvo should give the lawyers a closed forum somewhere on this site where suggestions and features like this can be discussed?

1. Peter J Weinman

Pro

4

Answered . Yes, I liked the ability to fix the category and I like your idea for a lawyers only forum.
    Pete

I may be guessing or not licensed in your state. No atty/client relationship exists.
  2. Jack Richard Lebowitz

Pro

2

Answered . I agree. I have to correct someone at least once a week that legal "ethics" doesn't mean any question about contract disputes, child custody, etc. While I have no quibble with the automagic suggestions of subject matter areas, wouldn't it be helpful for attorneys to try to change the topic areas or add to them and get a participation point or two for their efforts, like the old system.

BTW, there **is** some kind of third party discussion board at avvocom.zendesk.com for a lawyer's "feature suggestion box" and forum, but that site has a pathetically low level of participation and the few questions on the site ask why no queries seem to be responded to :-/

Avvo is a great resource and gets a lot of Google love (much more than the Lexis Martindale lawyers.com or Superlawyers sites), but it could stand some improvement and there seems to be a disconnect between participants and management, except when it comes to Avvo's sales of it's own add on products, like Excite websites.

3. Peter Christopher Lomtevas

Pro

1

Answered . Avvo has its defects and our gripes will never be addressed.

4. Christine C McCall

Pro

2

Answered . This "reform" happened several months back and some regular attorney participants engaged in lengthy objections and exchanges with Avvo V P Josh King, who can be fairly responsive on some extreme and inarguable issues of Avvo Q and A practices. King's non-negotiable responses on attorney participants' objections and citations of failures of the new practice were that Avvo has accumulated and analyzed a vast amount of data showing that this auto feature is a significant improvement, and individual responding attorneys view only isolated "anecdotal" exceptions to the tidal wave of data. King specifically disclaimed any objective or purpose based on "point-grabbing," which I frankly find credible since abusive point-grabbing seems not to register at all with Avvo quality control staff and managers.

More info? Email me off-site: Christine.McCall@LicenseAdvocates.com