When determining your sentencing guidelines, does the charge you are facing count or is taken into the equation?

Asked over 2 years ago - Alamo, TX

i am trying to figure out my guideline range but am not sure whether to count only my previous conviction or also count this new charge that already plead guilty to as well? also, my previous charge was 17 yrs ago, does that still count or does it not after 15yrs?

1. Evan Edward Pierce-Jones

1

1

Answered . Federal criminal defense lawyers spend hours pouring over the guidelines. Please do not try to figure these complicated rules out on your own. You need to consult your attorney. He or she should be willing to walk you through how they arrive at their guideline result.

Understand, big, thick books are written on the subject of how to apply the guidelines, and may appeal court case opinions have been written on the subject.

It's simply not one for the layman to take on.

2. John Leif Fossum

Answered . The place to start is the charge you have been indicted on. Prior convictions weigh into criminal history, not the initial guideline range. If you have been indicted, you should talk to your lawyer about what the scenario is. You should understand that there are a lot of factor that go into determining a guideline range, some of which are not knowable early in the case. Also the court is to use the guidelines to calculate a sentence, but then decide the appropriate sentence which may or may not be in the guideline range. Get a good defense attorney, I have included a site that can give you an idea regarding the guidelines ranges.