When dealing with wire taps does officers need an probable cause to pull you over search your vehicle?

Asked over 1 year ago - Nashville, TN

basically that person was set up and pulled over. Nothing was found in there vehicle but he's in jail with an millon dollar bond.

1. Bernard Francis McEvoy

5

Answered . In Davidson County, wiretaps are used by police and prosecutors almost exclusively in large-scale drug conspiracy cases. In general, the district attorney presents these cases directly to the grand jury and obtains sealed indictments.

If there was a sealed indictment (or an outstanding warrant) on your friend, then he or she could be pulled over at any time.

Given that you mention wiretaps and a million-dollar bond, it is likely that your friend is in jail, charged in a drug conspiracy case. The penalties in these cases are extraordinarily harsh. Your friend needs to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney.

2. Edwin Arnold Anderson

Pro

4

Answered . Not always. If a warrant was already issued, no probable cause is needed. Hire a lawyer for your friend right away.

3. Claiborne Hambrick Ferguson

Pro

3

Answered . Agree with others, there is more to this than a stop of a vehicle. You or he needs an attorney ASAP.

4. Douglas Holbrook

3

Answered . No new probable cause would be needed if a warrant had already been issued.

5. Frank Mascagni III

3

Answered . I assume from your question that the defendant was "set up" by an informant and pulled over based on so-called probable cause either based on an outstanding arrest warrant or search warrant that existed PRIOR to the pulling over by the police. I further assume he is in federal court facing a federal drug charge due to the excessive bail bond. He needs the best criminal defense attorney he can afford that practices in federal court in your federal district.