When dealing with wire taps does officers need an probable cause to pull you over search your vehicle?

Nashville, TN |

basically that person was set up and pulled over. Nothing was found in there vehicle but he's in jail with an millon dollar bond.

1. Not always. If a warrant was already issued, no probable cause is needed. Hire a lawyer for your friend right away.

The information you obtain at this site is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice. You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation. We invite you to contact us and welcome your calls. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.

2. In Davidson County, wiretaps are used by police and prosecutors almost exclusively in large-scale drug conspiracy cases. In general, the district attorney presents these cases directly to the grand jury and obtains sealed indictments.

If there was a sealed indictment (or an outstanding warrant) on your friend, then he or she could be pulled over at any time.

Given that you mention wiretaps and a million-dollar bond, it is likely that your friend is in jail, charged in a drug conspiracy case. The penalties in these cases are extraordinarily harsh. Your friend needs to speak with an experienced criminal defense attorney.

3. No new probable cause would be needed if a warrant had already been issued.

4. Agree with others, there is more to this than a stop of a vehicle. You or he needs an attorney ASAP.

Claiborne H. Ferguson, Esq. is * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the National Board of Trial Advocacy. * Certified as a Specialist in Criminal Trial Advocacy by the Tennessee Commission on Continuing Legal Education and Specialization.

5. I assume from your question that the defendant was "set up" by an informant and pulled over based on so-called probable cause either based on an outstanding arrest warrant or search warrant that existed PRIOR to the pulling over by the police. I further assume he is in federal court facing a federal drug charge due to the excessive bail bond. He needs the best criminal defense attorney he can afford that practices in federal court in your federal district.

I am trying to give you a general answer to your question. We do not have an attorney-client relationship by this response on the avvo website. I have not been retained to represent you. I am licensed to practice law in Kentucky and in federal court in this state and the Southern District of Indiana. You need to seek legal advice from an attorney licensed to practice in your area..