Skip to main content

When can I recover attorney's fees in a family law matter?

Orangeburg, NY |
Filed under: Family law

My former friend, a female, filed totally false charges against me in Family Court. She claimed I was stalking and threatening her and sexually harassing her. It was all a litany of lies designed to cause me suffering because I rejected her advances. The matter went to trial which lasted on and off nearly a year. The court ruled that she was a liar, had fabricated everything and dismissed her case. This case cost me much money in attorney's fees. Can I sue her for my attorney's fees because the court found she fabricated her case?

Attorney Answers 5

  1. I am not aware of any provision in Article 8 of the Family Court Act that provides for recovery of attorneys' fees. Article 8 is the section of the Family Court Act dealing with family offense petitions.

  2. FCA 842(f) allows for the issuance of counsel fees in an Article 8 proceeding, however, same does not appear to apply to you as you were not the petitioner. That said, there are general provisions prohibiting parties from bringing frivolous proceedings and it's arguably counsel fees may be brought under such provisions. You may also sue her in small claims court for abuse of process. That said, you should schedule a consultation with a Rockland/Westchester Family Law attorney for a full assessment.

    * If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.

  3. If the court specifically found perjury then maybe you could sue for fees but otherwise no.

  4. The short answer is Yes but consult with an attorney. Additionally you can report these actions to the police but consult your family court attorney first

    The advice I have given does not bind the parties in any manner and is merely given as a courtesy.

  5. You could sue for malicious prosecution. However, the best is advice is move on and let it go.

    If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or

Family law topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics