When can I move out of a house purchased in 2009 under the first-time home buyer's program and not have to repay the credit?

Augusta, GA |
Filed under: Credit

The house was purchased on 12/27/2009. I see that the IRS says that the credit must be repaid if the house ceases to be your "main home " or "principal residence" within 36 months after the purchase of the house.

But how are "main home" and "principal residence" defined by the IRS?

1. I think you are misinterpreting this information. There is no "free pass" releasing you from liability on this debt just because you move out. I would pay a good bankruptcy lawyer for a conference.

I am an attorney, practicing throughout the state of Georgia, but primarily in the areas around Augusta, Statesboro and Savannah, Georgia. You may review more information about my practice by going to: http://www.avvo.com/attorneys/30809-ga-elmer-young-540135/reviews.html. The information I am providing you should only be considered for your general knowledge and educational purposes. Consider it as a good first step in your knowledge acquisition, but not as legal advice. Indeed, any information I provide is based on the extremely limited facts you have provided and new facts could substantially alter any answer or reply. My opinion should be understood to apply only to the laws of the State of Georgia. You should always consult with a local attorney about your situation if you live outside of the State of Georgia.