Skip to main content

When can I get my California license back?

San Mateo, CA |

On June 7, 2010 I was pulled over by an officer and given an infraction for being under 21 and driving with .03 alcohol in my system (the term DUI was never given) I am getting near my "year suspension" and am wondering how and when I can get my license back.
I was given a pink sheet, which was a 30 day temporary license. I did not request a hearing for my license I just took the one year consequence.
I then had to attend traffic court (which took a couple of months to finally get a date). The court just took 5 minutes, the judge asked me if I knew that I was going to have my license taken away. I said "yes, they already took it away from me when i was arrested" I pleaded no contest.
When can I get it back? from when the pink sheet expired? arrested?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You may be eligible to obtain your driver's license 13-months from your arrest, because your driver's license wasn't suspended during the month when you had the pink paper 30-day license, but you should go to the DMV to see if you have any other requirements.


Your license will be suspended for 12 months from the date of the original suspension or in your case 13 months from the date of the arrest as the suspension period did not begin until 30 days after the arrest. Since you are under 21 you may be eligible for a critical need license from the DMV depending upon your circumstances or you could have requested it from the judge if you are under 18.
Robert Driessen


Your license is suspended for 12 months. The 12 months starts 30 days after your original arrest date. The fact that you are under 21 allows you to apply for a critical needs license from the DMV. This is not an easy or quick process.

Legal disclaimer: You can learn more about me by clicking on my Avvo profile. Disclaimer: Please note that this answer does not constitute legal advice. It is merely intended to provide general information to aid the poster in finding answers to the problem posed. This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. In most cases, it is best to contact an attorney directly to find answers to your problems.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer