When can I end child support?

Asked over 1 year ago - Dartmouth, MA

I have been paying child support for the past 13 years in Massachusetts...she is currently 20 years old ( 1 14 1993) she will be graduataing UMASS DARTMOUTH in the spring of 2014 ..will I be able to cease Child Support at that point? Thanks John

1. Karen M. Buckley

5

Best Answer

Answered . Child support can last until 23 so long as a child is enrolled full-time in an undergraduate educational program & is principally dependent upon the parents. If the child reaches the age of 21 & graduates from college, the support may then be termianted.

This answer is for general informational purposes only and does not create an attorney-client relationship.
  2. Karla Mansur

6

Answered . In all likelihood yes you will be able to stop making payments once she finishes school. If the support is going through DOR then you might have to take a few extra steps to terminate support though.
    Sincerely,

Karla Mansur, Esq.
    Law Office of Karla M. Mansur, LLC
    81 Middle Street
    Concord, MA 01742
    P: (978) 341-5040 / F: (978) 401-0687
    www.mansurlaw.com

3. Anton R. Reinert

3

Answered . Congratulation on your child graduating. You will need to look closely at the separation agreement language regarding the termination date of child support. Usually it is defined in the agreement. You should consult with a qualified family law attorney if you have any other questions.

4. Kyle Piro

3

Answered . Child Support continues until emancipation. Emancipation will not be considered, as others have said, until 23 if they are still in school. Emancipation can also occur as defined in your separation agreement, if different. You should consult an experienced family law attorney to help prepare a potential modification.

5. Jeffrey Allan Miller

1

Answered . I agree with my colleagues. It is important to note that your child support obligation may not automatically end. You may need to file a complaint for modification to technically end this obligation. That being said.... it may take up to 8 months before you are heard by a judge. The good news is that you may be entitled to "compensation" up to the time that you file the complaint for modification. DO NOT stop paying this obligation if you are unsure, you may be held in contempt.
    Also, on a good note, if you are not entitled to cease the obligation you may be able to have it reduced, the child support guidelines do not necessary apply to children over 18 years of age.
    Why not contact an attorney who offers a free consultation? You can't loose....

6. Henry Lebensbaum

Answered . It depends if your order has a self-terminating clause. And it
    should; it not file a Modification before the termination date
    seeking termination.

Does this answer your question?

henry lebensbaum, esq.

300 Brickstone Square, Ste 201

Andover, ma 01810

(978) 749-3606

420 Common St., Ste 101

Lawrence, MA 01840

(978) 685-2690

lebensbaum@verizon.net

I usually check email every few hours during the day.

(by appointment only)

PLEASE NOTE that:

The information contained in this e-mail message is intended only
    for the personal and confidential use of the recipient(s) named
    above. This message may be an attorney-client communication and/or
    work product and as such is privileged and confidential. If the
    reader of this message is not the intended recipient or an agent
    responsible for delivering it to the intended recipient, you are
    hereby notified that you have received this e-mail in error. Any
    review, dissemination distribution, or copying of this message is
    strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error,
    please notify us immediately by e-mail and delete the original
    message.