When can I change employers if my I140 is approved, and I have not filed I485?

If my I140 is approved under EB2 and I have not yet filed my I485 as my PD is not current, can I still change employers, and also keep the priority date? Does my new employer have to file LC and I140 again (but my PD can remain the same)?

Dallas, TX -

Shiv Kumar Kapoor

Shiv Kumar Kapoor

Immigration Attorney - San Antonio, TX

Yes, you can change and keep priority date. Unless you will go back to your current employer and they will support your I-485, then your new employer will need to file LC and I-140 for you if they are willing to.

Alexander Joseph Segal

Alexander Joseph Segal

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

Talk to your new employer's immigration attorney. They want you, correct. They should know the answer.

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Giacomo Jacques Behar

Immigration Attorney - San Diego, CA

The new employer can file a new H-1B on your behalf, and you will be approved for three more years, given that you already have an approved I-140. The new employer will have to restart a new PERM and I-140 process all over again, but you can preserve the priority date of your old PERM.

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Alexander M. Ivakhnenko

Immigration Attorney - Chicago, IL

The new employer may file a petition for you, if you are a valuable asset for them, also, their immigration visa attorney will provide all necessary assistance for you.

Related Advice