When can I apply for citizenship?

Everett, WA |

Hi,I obtained my Green Card on Nov.2008.When can I exactly apply for citizenship?

Assuming you are otherwise qualified, and assuming you are on the 5 year option instead of 3 years, you can submit the application 90 days prior to completing 5 years. It isn't 3 months. It's actually 90 days, so look at the exact date on your green card that says "resident since" (not just the month), and count back 90 days.

This reply is intended only as general information and does not constitute legal advice in any particular case. This reply does not create an attorney/client relationship.

I agree with my colleague, 90 days prior to the 5 year mark if you are on the 5 year time line

This is not legal advice and a client attorney relationship is not created. For a free consultation call (718)234-5588.

"When can I exactly apply for citizenship?" A person can apply for naturalization anytime the person wants. However, if the person has not met all the numerous requirements for the application to be approved, the application will be denied.

You can review the Guide to Naturalization to get an overview of what is involved in naturalization. The Guide is free at .

You should review the specific facts with your attorney to see whether you may have any problem with naturalization.

Recommended articles about Immigration