Skip to main content

When Calif EDD asks if you are receiving a pension or any other income, do you have to include social sec. retirement benefits?

Covina, CA |

I had been laid off, so I filed a claim and started to receive unemployment benefits. Upon turning 62 and knowing that my unemployment benefits would be ending, I filed for social security benefits to make ends meet. I started to collect social security and then got an extension for unemployment benefits. I still have had no luck in finding a job. When the Calif EDD form asks if you are receiving a pension or any other income, do you have to include your social security retirement benefits as income? Is it or is it not, earned income?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


According to the U.S. Department of Labor, receipt of social security benefits does not affect the right to collect unemployment benefits in California, and the amount of UIB received is not reduced as a result of collecting social security. I would advise you to contact your California EDD office and inform them that you are receiving the social security benefits in order to eliminate any issues that could arise.

The response given is not intended to create, nor does it create an ongoing duty to respond to questions. The response does not form an attorney-client relationship, nor is it intended to be anything other than the educated opinion of the author. It should not be relied upon as legal advice. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Attorney is licensed to practice law only in the State of California. Responses are based solely on California law unless stated otherwise.

Employment topics

Recommended articles about Employment

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer