When being arrested do the arresting officer have to tell you what you are being arrested for and read you your rights

Richardson, TX |

was arrested in a drug sting after the transaction was made

Yes. The case does not go away however if they have not. Your attorney will only be able to file a motion to keep out any statements you made after the time your rights should have been read to you.Sincerely,

Attorney Mitchell S. Sexner
Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC /o
Defending your rights since 1990
1 (800) 996 -4824
Email: :
Website: Criminal and Traffic Attorneys

Answers presented on this website are intended only for informational purposes and any use of the contained material is at the users own risk. Answers are intended exclusively as a public resource for general information, and this information is intended, but is not promised or guaranteed to be, correct, up-to-date, or complete. This material is not intended to constitute legal advice, as an agreement to create an attorney-client relationship with the law offices of Mitchell S. Sexner & Associates LLC, or the provision of legal services, and receipt of this information does not constitute such an agreement. If legal or other specific expert advice is required, then the services of a competent professional should be sought.O

Roger Justin Rivera

Roger Justin Rivera

Mr. Sexner, the arresting officer would not have to read you your rights if the arresting officer does not question the person about the arresting offense, right? That is my understanding.

Not necessarily. They should tell you what you are being arrested for. They only have to read you your rights if they are going to interview / interrogate you or try to elicit any statements from you once they have decided to arrest you. I had a case where they just told my client he was under arrest (not specific for what) and then read him his Miranda Rights. The judge in that case ruled the only thing that mattered was that my client knew he was under arrest and the Miranda rights were properly given.

You should speak with a criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible. If you were interviewed by the police after being taken into custody, tell your lawyer that you were not given your Miranda Rights.

Good Luck!
Leighton D'Antoni
Attorney at Law

Law Offices of Leighton D'Antoni
Founders Square
900 Jackson St. Suite 750
Dallas, TX 75202
(214) 960-9360 (phone)
(214) 666-3901 (fax)

*licensed to practice law in the States of Texas and California

Civil rights topics

Recommended articles about Civil rights