When asked how to take care of a bench warrant the advice is bring money and turn myself in. How much money $20 $6,000?!?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pontiac, MI

Can't do time in jail or I will lose my job since I'm on temporary hire.

1. Daniel P. Hilf

5

Answered . You need to hire a experienced, local criminal defense lawyer who regularly appears in the Court where the warrant was issued. The lawyer can find out if a bond was already set by the Court. The lawyer can make arrangements to have the matter addressed in a way that potentially avoids you going into custody before the warrant can be addressed. The lawyer might have a good enough relationship with the Court to influence its decision as it relates to the amount of the bond.

There are 2 main issues when it comes to bond: risk to the community, and risk of flight. Hiring a lawyer helps show that you are not a flight risk, because you have taken the effort and expense to defend the case. If your plan is just to flee, why bother to hire a lawyer?

The amount you should bring depends upon what the bench warrant is for, and your prior record. For felony child support cases the bond is usually 25% of the arrearage. For serious cases in which a large bond may be necessary, arrangements can be made with a bail bondsman if needed to post the bond ASAP.

The bottom line is, if you have the ability to hire a lawyer you should do so. Hiring a lawyer may ultimately save you money and grief in the long run.

2. Steven R. Simkins

Answered . As mentioned above, there are many factors that influence how much $$ is needed; the type of charge, the circumstances surrounding the bench warrant and underlying offense, the amount of child support (if applicable), the judge, etc. Always retain a well-respected, local attorney if you can.

3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

Pro

1

Answered . I guess my advice would be, hire a lawyer, turn yourself in and have money available. The lawyer may be able to have you in-and-out. It all depends on the charge, your history during the case, and your personal history - criminal and non-criminal.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information.

One or more answers have been taken down.