When asked how to take care of a bench warrant the advice is bring money and turn myself in. How much money $20 $6,000?!?

Asked over 1 year ago - Pontiac, MI

Can't do time in jail or I will lose my job since I'm on temporary hire.

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Daniel P. Hilf

    Contributor Level 15


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . You need to hire a experienced, local criminal defense lawyer who regularly appears in the Court where the warrant was issued. The lawyer can find out if a bond was already set by the Court. The lawyer can make arrangements to have the matter addressed in a way that potentially avoids you going into custody before the warrant can be addressed. The lawyer might have a good enough relationship with the Court to influence its decision as it relates to the amount of the bond.

    There are 2 main issues when it comes to bond: risk to the community, and risk of flight. Hiring a lawyer helps show that you are not a flight risk, because you have taken the effort and expense to defend the case. If your plan is just to flee, why bother to hire a lawyer?

    The amount you should bring depends upon what the bench warrant is for, and your prior record. For felony child support cases the bond is usually 25% of the arrearage. For serious cases in which a large bond may be necessary, arrangements can be made with a bail bondsman if needed to post the bond ASAP.

    The bottom line is, if you have the ability to hire a lawyer you should do so. Hiring a lawyer may ultimately save you money and grief in the long run.

  2. Steven R. Simkins

    Contributor Level 8

    Answered . As mentioned above, there are many factors that influence how much $$ is needed; the type of charge, the circumstances surrounding the bench warrant and underlying offense, the amount of child support (if applicable), the judge, etc. Always retain a well-respected, local attorney if you can.

  3. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.


    Contributor Level 19


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . I guess my advice would be, hire a lawyer, turn yourself in and have money available. The lawyer may be able to have you in-and-out. It all depends on the charge, your history during the case, and your personal history - criminal and non-criminal.

    If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

    Thank you.

    --- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin

    --- Facebook Page

    --- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police

    --- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)


    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

    I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

    Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

    This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

    Click on the “more” link below for more important information.

    Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum. Click on the "More..." link for... more
One or more answers have been taken down.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

30,945 answers this week

3,120 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

30,945 answers this week

3,120 attorneys answering