When are vaccinations required for a K-1 visa?

Newport News, VA |

I'm receiving conflicting information regarding the vaccination requirement for my fiance's K-1 visa. According to one source, the vaccinations are required before the visa will be issued by the consulate. Another source states that the vaccinations will only be required when my fiance adjusts her visa status after our marriage. Which is correct?

Yes, she is required to have the vaccines BEFORE the K-1 visa will be issued. A medical exam is always required for a K-1 visa. However, if the K-1 medical exam is misplaced by the USCIS, then another medical may also have to be done. Make sure that she keeps a copy of it.

If she cannot take the vaccines or has previously been vaccinated, she needs to get documents from her physician before the K-1 medical exam, where she wants to try to opt out of the vaccines. If she is pregnant, then there may be something called titers [sic?] that can be done.

If she somehow 'refuses' to take the vaccines, she can be permanently denied a visa. There is no waiver for a refusal to take the vaccines except for a religious waiver or some medical verification that she will have an adverse reaction.

The above is general information and does not create an attorney-client relationship.