When applying for civilian jobs do I have to check previous military service or discharge if I have an entry level separation?

I do not have a DD214 from what I have been told and the human resources dept. of the unit I was assigned do not have any records of me. I also did not go to basic because of personal issues at the time. Is there any paperwork out there that will prove this?

Lexington, MS -

Find Out More

Derek L. Hall

Derek L. Hall

Divorce / Separation Lawyer - Jackson, MS

I agree with what other attorneys have said. I would add that there would be a "record" of your activity. The military keeps and maintains those records.

John Daniel Hafemann

John Daniel Hafemann

Military Law Attorney - Beaufort, SC

Your recruiter should have paperwork supporting the fact that you received an Entry Level Separation prior to attending basic training. If you need help getting the documentation you need, feel free to give my office a call. The initial consultation is free. Good luck.

William Emil Cassara

William Emil Cassara

Military Law Attorney - Augusta, GA

You can download and file an SF 180 requesting a copy of your DD 214.

Philip Douglas Cave

Philip Douglas Cave

Military Law Attorney - Alexandria, VA

If this was a Reserve enlistment, there won't be a DD214.
If you did not go to basic, then it's possible you were "discharged" before in the enlistment process. In which case there will not be an ELS, but a cancellation of a contract.
If that's the case, you have NO military service.