When applying for civilian jobs do I have to check previous military service or discharge if I have an entry level separation?

Lexington, MS |

I do not have a DD214 from what I have been told and the human resources dept. of the unit I was assigned do not have any records of me. I also did not go to basic because of personal issues at the time. Is there any paperwork out there that will prove this?

1. Your recruiter should have paperwork supporting the fact that you received an Entry Level Separation prior to attending basic training. If you need help getting the documentation you need, feel free to give my office a call. The initial consultation is free. Good luck.

2. You can download and file an SF 180 requesting a copy of your DD 214.

This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney client relationship with Mr. Cassara.

3. If this was a Reserve enlistment, there won't be a DD214.
    If you did not go to basic, then it's possible you were "discharged" before in the enlistment process. In which case there will not be an ELS, but a cancellation of a contract.
    If that's the case, you have NO military service.

www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your question does not create an attorney-client relationship.

4. I agree with what other attorneys have said. I would add that there would be a "record" of your activity. The military keeps and maintains those records.

Military law topics