When applying for civilian jobs do I have to check previous military service or discharge if I have an entry level separation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lexington, MS

I do not have a DD214 from what I have been told and the human resources dept. of the unit I was assigned do not have any records of me. I also did not go to basic because of personal issues at the time. Is there any paperwork out there that will prove this?

Attorney answers (4)

  1. Derek L. Hall


    Contributor Level 10

    Answered . I agree with what other attorneys have said. I would add that there would be a "record" of your activity. The military keeps and maintains those records.

  2. John Daniel Hafemann

    Contributor Level 12

    Answered . Your recruiter should have paperwork supporting the fact that you received an Entry Level Separation prior to attending basic training. If you need help getting the documentation you need, feel free to give my office a call. The initial consultation is free. Good luck.

  3. William Emil Cassara


    Contributor Level 18

    Answered . You can download and file an SF 180 requesting a copy of your DD 214.

    This post is for information purposes only and does not constitute legal advice, nor does it establish an attorney... more
  4. Philip Douglas Cave


    Contributor Level 17

    Answered . If this was a Reserve enlistment, there won't be a DD214.
    If you did not go to basic, then it's possible you were "discharged" before in the enlistment process. In which case there will not be an ELS, but a cancellation of a contract.
    If that's the case, you have NO military service.

    www.court-martial.com; www.court-martial.us.com; mljucmj@gmail.com 703-298-9562, 800-401-1583. Answering your... more

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

23,104 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

23,104 answers this week

2,881 attorneys answering