When applying for civilian jobs do I have to check previous military service or discharge if I have an entry level separation?

Asked over 1 year ago - Lexington, MS

I do not have a DD214 from what I have been told and the human resources dept. of the unit I was assigned do not have any records of me. I also did not go to basic because of personal issues at the time. Is there any paperwork out there that will prove this?

1. Derek L. Hall

Pro

Answered . I agree with what other attorneys have said. I would add that there would be a "record" of your activity. The military keeps and maintains those records.

2. John Daniel Hafemann

Answered . Your recruiter should have paperwork supporting the fact that you received an Entry Level Separation prior to attending basic training. If you need help getting the documentation you need, feel free to give my office a call. The initial consultation is free. Good luck.

3. William Emil Cassara

Pro

Answered . You can download and file an SF 180 requesting a copy of your DD 214.

4. Philip Douglas Cave

Pro

Answered . If this was a Reserve enlistment, there won't be a DD214.
    If you did not go to basic, then it's possible you were "discharged" before in the enlistment process. In which case there will not be an ELS, but a cancellation of a contract.
    If that's the case, you have NO military service.