When an employee fills out an I 9 form, and employer asks proof of employment authorization, copy of s.s. card, etc..

Is this something that employers file right away? OR..do they keep this information on file,, (ie: In case they, employer is audited)? I read somewhere that the I9 is just so the employer has proof that you are eligible to work..And it is something they keep on file and only need to show if audited?? Thank you

Tuckahoe, NY -

M. Gabriela Ungo

M. Gabriela Ungo

Immigration Attorney - Tupelo, MS

Completed and signed I-9 forms and copy of employee's identity and employment authorization documents should stored in a separate file in case of government audit.

Daniel James Fisher

Daniel James Fisher

Immigration Attorney - New York, NY

This would be kept on file in case if they are audited.