WHEN A WARRANT IS ISSUED FOR ARREST & THAT PERSON DOESN'T KNOW THERE IS A WARRANT & THEN THE COPS SHOW UP SPONTANEOUSLY, IS IT..

Asked over 1 year ago - Tampa, FL

When there is a warrant for someone's arrest and they don't know there is a warrant out for them & then the police show up to make the arrest, is it required for the police officers to show the warrant or required to read the warrant to the suspect before detaining. For proof purposes??

1. Jonathan Hackworth

Pro

6

Answered . I agree with my colleague and strongly encourage you to retain a criminal defense attorney immediately. My firm is located in Tampa and offers free case consultations. Our office line is 813 830 2261. Good luck.

2. William A. Jones Jr.

Pro

5

1

Best Answer

Answered . I would think not, although I would expect arresting officers to advice the accused that they have a warrant or otherwise have knowledge of its existence. Proof of its existence, if needed will be supplied when a court requires it. The accused should be seeking the help of a qualified criminal defense attorney.

3. Betty Elaine Jones

5

Answered . You really need to consult with a local criminal attorney and see what defenses you might have. Most attorneys offer a free consultation initially. My office offers free consultations and if you would like to speak further regarding your case call 813-681-8383.

Sincerely,
    B. Elaine Jones, Esq.

4. Young T Tindall

3

Answered . They do have to have some paperwork to indicate there is a warrant but it may be as little as a teletype or information on a computer. There is nothing that requires them to show you something at the time they are taking you into custody, and we know they are not usually people friendly, but they better have something to back up what they are doing.

5. Charles K. Kenyon Jr.

3

1

Answered . It is unusual for police to have an arrest warrant with them. Usually they are simply notified that there is an outstanding warrant.

If any answer on AVVO helps you, mine or someone else’s, please mark it as "helpful" or "best answer" to help AVVO know which answers to show others.

Thank you.

--- Experienced Criminal Defense Lawyer in Madison, Dane County, Wisconsin
    http://addbalance.com

--- Facebook Page
    http://www.facebook.com/CriminalDefenseMadTown

--- Talking to the Police - Advice from Lawyers and Police
    http://addbalance.com/police.htm

--- Miranda Rights (and Wrongs)
    http://addbalance.com/miranda_rights.htm

DISCLAIMER:

Confidential information should not be disclosed in this Internet forum.

I am an experienced Wisconsin criminal defense lawyer practicing in Madison (Dane County) Wisconsin. The laws in each jurisdiction can be very different. I cannot give legal advice over the Internet nor can I establish an attorney client relationship with you.

If something I say disagrees with what your own lawyer is telling you, you should rely on your lawyer who is familiar with you, your entire case, the local courts and practices.

Most questions are just better handled by an attorney familiar with the procedures of the courts in your area. Few, if any, legal matters should be handled via Internet communication. If you cannot afford an attorney, there should be agencies in your area that can provide discounted, or even free, legal services.

This AVVO Answer is provided for general educational purposes only.

Click on the “more” link below for more important information about the answer and AVVO.