When a Trust is listed as the sole beneficiary of a life insurance payout, what are the tax implications if the money sits?

Asked about 1 year ago - Dundee, IL

The primary funding for a Special Needs Trust is a term life insurance policy worth $150,000. The Trust is the sole beneficiary. Will the money avoid the high Trust taxation and be allow to sit in the trust because it came from a life insurance policy? Also, will the money still be tax free when it is distributed from the trust to the beneficiaries?

1. Jeffrey R. Gottlieb

7

Best Answer

Answered . What taxes are you worried about? Life insurance payout is not taxable income. Only interest after death is income. Talk to a tax accountant or tax attorney for specific advise based on the terms of the trust and future distributions.

Pro

6

Answered . This is a question for your accountant.

3. James D. Wade

5

Answered . I agree with my colleague, you should speak with a tax attorney or accountant. They will need to see the trust documents so that they can discuss the tax consequences of the life insurance proceeds now and in the future.