When a parent responsible for paying child support starts a new job is it their responsibility to send in payments?

Avon, MA |

Mass Dir Child Support Income Withholding Orders - What happens when a parent responsible for child support starts a new job and refuses to send in payments during the period when Mass Dir is not withholding income ? Will I ever receive those missed payments ?

I am sorry to hear that you are facing this unpleasant situation. The payor of child support is responsible for you receiving all child support payments. They can send documentation to DOR - Child Support Enforcement proving that they made interim payments. The payor can be subject to a contempt action for failure to pay and the payor may have to pay your attorney fees incurred for a contempt action. You should speak with a qualified family law attorney to assess your options.

Advice provided is of a general nature to provide guidance. Divorce law is state specific. One should always check the laws in their home jurisdiction. An attorney-client relationship is not intended or established through provided responses.

You should absolutely receive those payments. If the payor does not notify DOR of the change in his/her employment and misses payments as a result, s/he is in contempt. Child support payments are due in the amount and at the time specified in the court order unless and until they are modified. If you have not received payments, contact DOR and they may help you with filing a Complaint for Contempt. Good luck!

This is intended for general informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice. The content of this site may not reflect the most current legal developments. Do not consider this site to be a substitute for obtaining legal advice from a qualified attorney licensed in your state or country, and do not act or refrain from acting on the basis of the information contained herein. I am not responsible for any errors or omission in the content of this site or for damages arising from the use of this site under any circumstances. This does not create an attorney-client relationship.

If a party misses payments they are in contempt even if DOR hasn't caught on to the job change. Contact DOR yourself and let them know of the job change and subsequently the missed payments. You can also file a contempt action in probate court. Best of luck.

Melissa Levine is a licensed attorney in Massachusetts. All answers are based on Massachusetts law and should not be construed as legal advice. No attorney-client relationship is formed by Attorney Levine answering your question. It is advisable to consult with an attorney about your personal legal concerns.

It always the payor's responsibility

Criminal Law (all misdemeanor & felonies in District and Superior Courts), Drunk Driving and Drug arrests, Sex Offenses, SORB, Crimes involving Violence or Theft, Domestic (Divorce, Child Custody, Alimony and Child Support) and Family Law (Modification, Contempts & Paternity), Juvenile Law, Domestic Violence and Restraining Orders, Business Law, Personal Injury claims, Probate Law (Guardianships, Conservatorships & Estate Administration) and Legal Malpractice. For these and other areas, contact me. NOTE: This preceding message DOES NOT create an attorney-client relationship. It is not a protected or confidential communication. The statements made herein are not to be interpreted as representations or warranties of any kind. No reliance should be placed on the statements made herein. It is recommended that the recipient(s) should undertake their own research to reach their own opinion. The writer does not accept professional responsibility on this matter. TO CREATE an attorney-client relationship REQUIRES a signed retainer/fee agreement along with a retainer fee that must be received by my office.

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

It is the parent's responsibility to pay regardless of job and obey the court order.

Henry Lebensbaum

Henry Lebensbaum

I am a former DOR Enforcement Attorney. The short answer to your question is: the non-custodial parent is absolutely responsible for all of the monies they owe, regardless of whether or not the "garnishment" has kicked in yet. The court order certainly does not allow the NCP to withhold payment simply because the monies are not being taken out of his/her check each week. The NCP is still obligated to make the child support payments each week, and if he/she is not, the DOR can use any enforcement mechanisms in their arsenal to collect on said payments, including suspending the NCP's driver's license, and intercepting any tax refunds that might be due to the NCP.

I would strongly recommend contacting your case worker at the DOR to determine the status of the "garnishment" order in your case. Further, if you know of the NCP's employer's address, etc., I would pass this information onto your case worker.

Good luck!

Anthony Rao

Child custody topics