When a Foster child is returned to the family, what are the rules regarding further contact? After they're adults?

Asked almost 2 years ago - Seattle, WA

In NY, I helped inlaws take care of lots of foster kids, and was never privy to paperwork or rules, so I don't know what they are or where to look. ( I live in another state now.)

One family of children was returned to their family, but possibly removed again and sent to a new family when abuse reoccured. It was my inlaws who reported the abuse, as those kids contact them for help.

The last child my inlaws had in their care was removed by the agency due to abuse (neglect) that I reported. Nobody really explained anything other than that that child was in fact sent to live with extended family who had previously been unable to take him in.

Is it that you can only respond should any of them find you, or are you allowed to make contact? Social media conundrums!

1. Mary Katherine Brown

Pro

2

2

Answered . Absent a specific restraining order to the contrary, after the children are adults you should not be in violation of any law by simply reaching out via to let them know you'd like to be in contact. If they do not reply or they indicate they do not wish to have such contact, then you must leave it alone. Good luck!