When a Foster child is returned to the family, what are the rules regarding further contact? After they're adults?

Seattle, WA |
Filed under: Family law

In NY, I helped inlaws take care of lots of foster kids, and was never privy to paperwork or rules, so I don't know what they are or where to look. ( I live in another state now.)

One family of children was returned to their family, but possibly removed again and sent to a new family when abuse reoccured. It was my inlaws who reported the abuse, as those kids contact them for help.

The last child my inlaws had in their care was removed by the agency due to abuse (neglect) that I reported. Nobody really explained anything other than that that child was in fact sent to live with extended family who had previously been unable to take him in.

Is it that you can only respond should any of them find you, or are you allowed to make contact? Social media conundrums!

1. Absent a specific restraining order to the contrary, after the children are adults you should not be in violation of any law by simply reaching out via to let them know you'd like to be in contact. If they do not reply or they indicate they do not wish to have such contact, then you must leave it alone. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: marykatherinebrown@hotmail.com. All of Ms. Brown’s responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.