When a DA makes a false statement in opening of a death penalty case and it is proven false in the transcript what recourse

Asked over 1 year ago - La Grande, OR

As soon as the DA public statement to press that was proven false in court the judge put every under a gag order then opening she lied to the jury what can be done to this type of conduct

1. Clayton Tullos

Pro

2

Answered . Not enough facts to provide an answer. Anything further would be speculation. A gag order general affects statements made outside of court. I don't know if the statement were prejudicial, if the defense attorney objected, if the judge made a previous ruling on the statement.

Assuming the absolute worst conduct then it may be possible for the case to go up on appeal.

This answer does not constitute an attorney client relationship. I am not your attorney.
  2. Thomas Ifversen

2

Answered . This is a question for the state bar association. I can tell you, however, that as a defense lawyer, when the DA makes statements in their opening (whick is NOT evidence) that they can't prove, I get to rub their faces in it when I do my closing. Openings are nothing but a road-map, and lawyers have a pretty broad scope of what can be said.

3. Anthony Michael Solis

Pro

Answered . Really this is a tactical question for the attorney in the case. There may be several avenues of recourse, depending on the statement, but that's a strategy decision for the attorney.