When a cop shows up to a accident and a victim is still in a totaled car, should the cop be on the radio to get help?

Asked almost 3 years ago - York, PA

I was in a 3 car accident on a 3 lane highway, still sitting in the totaled car having a seizure when the police showed up, No ambulance at all to the accident scene the whole time

Additional information

The cop thought I was under the influance of a drug. My emergency card in my wallet has a contact, the contact didn't know about anything til I called her when the cop finished with me

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Kevin Marc Habberfield

    Contributor Level 10


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . First responders must reasonably assess the situation. That being said, they are acting during an emergency situation and do make mistakes. If the police mistook your seizure for illicit drug use and that delay in treatment did not cause you any harm, beyond what you would already go through due to the crash, there is no claim. Regardless, without knowing more, your eyes should be fixated on the person that caused the crash. Go see a personal injury attorney and they can evaluation who may be an appropriate party to a claim.

    I hope you get better soon.

    Legal Disclaimer: Mr. Habberfield is licensed to practice law in the States of New York and Pennsylvania. The... more
  2. Joel Jay Kofsky

    Contributor Level 14


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . A police officer is trained to assess the situation and prioritize their actions. Mistakes are sometimes made, but overall they do an excellent job.


  3. Timothy F. Rayne


    Contributor Level 9


    Lawyer agrees

    Answered . Sounds like the officer used poor judgment. If the collision was very severe an ambulance should have been called. Even so, I don't think you have a legal claim against the officer.

Related Topics

Personal injury

If you suffer a personal injury as the result of the actions or negligence of another, you may seek financial compensation for physical or emotional damages.

Types of personal injuries

There are many types of personal injuries for which financial damages can be awarded, including physical, emotional, and psychological injuries.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

31,566 answers this week

3,481 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

31,566 answers this week

3,481 attorneys answering