When a child have a accident at school is the school responsible for it?

Asked over 4 years ago - Macon, GA

My daughter slipped and fell in the school gym and broke her wrist and I need to know is the school responsible for the bill.

1. Benjamin Stephen Persons IV

Answered . The bad news is they are probably not responsible. Public school employees have immunity which protects them from suit for discretionary actions taken within the scope of their official duty. However, suits can proceed against negligent school employees if the court considers the negligent act a ministerial act. More often than not Georgia Courts conclude schools and their employees are completely immune.

I have seen instances where schools agreed to pay for medical bills even though they were not required to do so. If you want to pursue a claim against the school you need to consult with an experienced lawyer. There a many excellent lawyers where you live and I would gladly give you the names of some top Macon lawyers.

Ben Persons
    www.personsfirm.com

2. John Gage Breakfield

Answered . What caused her to fall?

3. Matthew A. Kane

Answered . I do not practice in your state. I can tell you that in Massachusetts, there are statutes that cap the total amount of damages recoverable against public schools or not-for-profit private schools. A good personal injury attorney in your area will offer a free consultation and provide an opinion on the strengths and weaknesses of your potential case. Feel free to contact me if you would like a referral.

Good luck!

Matt