Whats the protocol if someone calls the cops and lies that you have a gun?

Asked over 1 year ago - Philadelphia, PA

my husband was followed by the cops and stopped because someone had told them he had a gun . no gun found he did have a small amount of drugs for his recreational use they found his stash hidden in a pouch on side of his chair . he was arrested for manufacturing and intent to deliver and possession .

Attorney answers (3)

  1. Robert C. Keller

    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . Your husband needs to retain an experienced criminal defense attorney. The attorney will aggressively attempt to have the main charges dismissed at the preliminary hearing. If the case moves forward, the attorney will file a motion in court seeking to suppress the evidence found. The search may have been improper and can be challenged in court. We provide a free consult.

  2. William A. Jones Jr.


    Contributor Level 20


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . As usual Attorney Keller has hit the proverbial nail on the head. Both the vehicle stop and the subsequent search sound, from your description of the circumstances, very suspect. A good criminal defense attorney experienced in the proper handling of drug cases is the only effective way to fight back. Do not post any further details on the Internet, including social media like Facebook. Your husband needs to talk with qualified legal counsel in private without delay. He is fortunate to have already heard from one of the outstanding attorneys from your end of the state who participate here. I would highly recommend that he take advantage of Mr. Keller's generous offer of a consultation. Good luck to you both.

  3. Douglas Lee Dolfman

    Contributor Level 12


    Lawyers agree

    Answered . The issue of the gun will be based on credibility at trial. The amount of drugs makes it a selling charge. You need to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer. You may have a good suppression issue as well.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask a Lawyer

Get free answers from experienced attorneys.


Ask now

29,163 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering

Ask a Lawyer

Get answers from top-rated lawyers.

  • It's FREE
  • It's easy
  • It's anonymous

29,163 answers this week

3,157 attorneys answering