Whats the charges for destruction of property?

Asked over 4 years ago - Mission Viejo, CA

I got arrested for destruction of property, I kicked in my friends front door, while I was drunk blacked out. What may happen when I go to court, would I be sent to jail?

1. Lewis Robert Rosenblum

Answered . Sounds like there is a lot missing in your facts. If it was your friend door why were the police called and who said they wanted to press charges? If you friend owned the property and told the police it was not a problem and he didn't want to press charges, nothing would have happened. My guess is that maybe your friends parents didn't like the idea of you kicking in their front door or was it your girlfriend's parents. In either event, pay to get the door fixed, have a letter from your friend that you have paid for the door and they no longer wish to press charges and maybe the D.A. will give you a break.

By the way, do you think you may have a problem if your drinking to the extent you are passing out and doing things you don't even remember. Going down this path I can pretty much predict what is next unless you get yourself into a substance abuse program.

What will happen when you get to court? Depends on if you are an adult or juvenile. You will likely end up in some program if this is your first offense and eventually have the case dismissed, hopefully the D.A. will require alcohol counseling as well, it will be for your own good.

2. Joseph Briscoe Dane

Pro

Answered . The charge is vandalism under Penal Code section 594. If the amount of the damage is under $400, the charge is a misdemeanor that carries up to 6 months in county jail and/or a thousand dollar fine (plus any restitution for damages) and if it's over $400, it's a "wobbler" (which means it can be charged as either a felony or a misdemeanor). Depending on how old you are, a vandalism conviction can have consequences on your driver's license as well.

There are ways to reduce this, settle this short of a conviction and/or fight this charge, but it depends on the facts of the case.

When you go to court for the first time, it's your arraignment. Assuming you are appearing either voluntarily based on a letter being sent to you by the DA or because you got a ticket to appear in court and you don't miss your court date, you shouldn't be taken into custody. If you're on probation or have other pending charges, then things may change. The first court date is your arraignment - see the link below for information about the first court appearance.