What would you do in this situation ??????? how could he get a florida driver's license with an approved I130... in florida?

Asked about 1 year ago - Orlando, FL

so my husband got pulled over by the police yesterday can you believe it in his own yard. he was pulling into the carport and 3 police officers pulled up and ask him for his driver's license. this is not good for him because he doesn't possess one been driving for 4 years living in same same area and this has happen twice by the same police department. the cops had no meaning why they pulled him he was turning his car around to back it in our drive way. if you ask me they saw he was Hispanic and thought he was illegal with no driver's license but how could they have known just by judging a person's race to pull them over.......be mindful he was in his own yard own property! ....... he has not always had the same vehicle and neither vehicle is in his name both have tinted windows.

1. Carl Michael Shusterman

Pro

16

Answered . An approved I-130 does not give a person legal status in the U.S.

Please click the link at the very bottom for additional information.

---------
    Carl Shusterman, Esq.
    Former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82)
    Board Certified Immigration Attorney (1986 - Present)
    Schedule a Legal Consultation - Telephonic, Skype or In-Person
    https://shusterman.com/intake-secure.html
    600 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 1550
    Los Angeles, CA 90017
    (213) 394-4554 x0
    Web: www.shusterman.com (English)
    www.inmigracion-abogado.com (Spanish)

2. Alexander Joseph Segal

6

Answered . This is not an immigration question as far as the Florida DL is concerned. It is a question of Florida law, which I, as an immigration attorney, need not know unless I practice in Florida. As far as the implied racial intend of the stop is concerned, even if it is true, he is in the large company of many. If you would like to explore this issue, you need a civil rights attorney in Florida.

3. Jeffrey Adam Devore

4

Answered . Under Florida law the beneficiary of an I-130 is not entitled to a drivers license. The alien must show that he or she is lawfully present and/or taking action to become lawfully present. Without knowing the facts of your husband's case is it impossible to determine what he might be eligible for. Consult with an experienced immigration attorney familiar with Florida DMV issues for appropriate advice.

4. Robert Louis Brown

Pro

4

Answered . he should obtain a driver's license. He should meet with an immigration attorney to obtain proper documentation so that he may obtain a driver's license.

321.208.7324
    immigration@rbrownllc.com
    www.brownimmigrationFL.com

Robert Brown LLC
    Baldwin Park Center
    4767 New Broad Street
    Orlando, Florida 32814

5. Eliza Grinberg

4

Answered . Contact Mr. Brown or other attorneys stationed in Florida for more specific information on this question of a DL. They are best situated to answer it.

6. Ksenia Alexandrovna Maiorova

Answered . We would need to know additional information about your case to help you. An approved I-130 does not make a person eligible for a FL driver license. You may, however, obtain a DL if you have received a work authorization. We would need to know more about your husband's case before we could tell you if he is eligible for a Driver License or any immigration relief. You would be well advised to consult with a local attorney specializing in immigration law.