Skip to main content

What would my 1st offence be in a domestic violence case ?

Melrose, MA |
Filed under: Domestic violence

my boyfriend was trying to make me leave my friends house and i was going to but instead he showed up at her house and we walked out . he started saying things to me that got me in a bad mood. and then took my phone and keys . i then tryed getting my things back and it ended up being a big thing and he had scraches from me on him . the police then arrested me , and assigned me to court . im scared on what could happen . and i dont know what to expect ... i need answers ...

Attorney Answers 3

  1. Speak to an attorney immediately. Do not post any further details about this incident on the internet. Most DA's offices have a policy of not dismissing any domestic violence crime short of trial, even if your boyfriend tells them he does not want to testify. There may be percipient witnesses besides your boyfriend to help the government prove its case against you, and there may be other evidence that could be used against you at trial. I've successfully defended many domestic A&B cases and I'd be happy to discuss this matter with you further.

    Best of luck,

    Dominic Pang (617-538-1127)

  2. Contact an attorney to discuss the specifics and the process. The DA's office takes domestic violence cases very seriously and as noted often will not dismiss them short of a trial. If you have appeared in court already, then you would have been advised if you qualified for an attorney and if so, had one appointed. If you have not been to court and arraigned, you can hire a private attorney or wait until the arraignment to see if one is appointed.

    DISCLAIMER: This answer is provided in response to a "hypothetical" question and provided for general, informational purposes and does not create an attorney/client relationship. The information presented is not legal advice and may change based additional information and research. It is recommended that you speak to an attorney to discuss your specific legal issues.

  3. I agree, and there is a possibility that if the two of you wanted you can join to dismiss the underlying action. Getting an attorney is an absolute. If you have questions, please advise.

Criminal defense topics

Top tips from attorneys

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics