Skip to main content

What would happen if i were to move?

Salinas, CA |

I have a 9 month old son and he and I have just been given a week and a half to move out of our place. I have no family here and can not afford a new place. No friends or family to take me in and I can not afford to live in a hotel for months at a time while i look for a job. I have enough money to fly to NC, however. Unfortunately, I have a 5 year old daughter who is under guardianship of her father's parents (they will not allow me to stay with them) If I leave will i risk getting into trouble with the courts/law? If not and I leave, since it would be considered a mandatory leave (?), could her grandparents claim I abandoned her and take my rights? If so what steps could I take to make sure they could not make that claim against me? -Its not stated in a document that I am unable to move.

Attorney Answers 1


They cannot restrict your right to travel just the children. Depending on if this is a CPS case or not you could have the case eventually transferred if you cannot move. Regardless continue to try to reestablish yourself to be the parent again to your five year old.

This is not a comprehensive answer and it is impossible to provide a meaningful response without a consultation. Call us for more information. 619.797.5456

Mark as helpful

1 comment



Thank you

Child custody topics

Recommended articles about Child custody

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer

Browse all legal topics