What would happen if I failed to appear on a witness subpoena for a criminal trial

Memphis, TN |
Filed under: Criminal defense

What are they most likely to do to me if I cannot make it to a court date I have a summons as witness for. It's a misdemeanor D.V. that's 2 1/2 years old and the victim is currently incarserated for an unrelated but high profile case that is still pending trial.

The worst case scenario is hold you in contempt of court. This is highly unlikely but an attorney cannot advise someone not to abide by a subpoena if properly served. I would contact the Attorney who issued the subpoena and give them the reason why you cannot attend the trial.

It is not unusual for a District Attorney to have the court issue a warrant for your arrest for failure to appear. The easiest way to handle the problem is to contact the prosecutor and tell him/her that you can be there. Most times, the prosecutor will attempt to assist a witness. If not, you have to be there or face the punishment.