What would happen if another person's dog got into my fenced in yard & was attacked by mine due to the other provoking her?

Statesville, NC |

Would I be liable? My dog is not aggressive at all but will be naturally if attack.

1. How did the other dog get into your fenced yard? You probably would not face responsibility. However, your dog could be hurt badly. Make sure your fence is good and secure. You also do not want children drifting into your yard either. They could hurt your dog or vise versa.

2. Day or night? If at night, the owner has committed a crime:

§ 67-12. Permitting dogs to run at large at night; penalty; liability for damage.

No person shall allow his dog over six months old to run at large in the nighttime unaccompanied by the owner or by some member of the owner's family, or some other person by the owner's permission. Any person intentionally, knowingly, and willfully violating this section shall be guilty of a Class 3 misdemeanor, and shall also be liable in damages to any person injured or suffering loss to his property or chattels. (1919, c. 116, s. 5; C.S., s. 1680; 1993, c. 539, s. 534; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

I am an Attorney-at-Law, licensed to practice law only in the state of California. Unless we have both signed a formal retainer agreement, you are not my client, and my discussion of issues does not constitute legal advice. Opinions expressed herein are those of the author, and do not necessarily represent the opinions of those who hold other opinions.

3. Should the situation arise where a dog enters your fenced in yard, without you abetting, you will not be criminally liable and civil liability is highly unlikely. If this person has a dog, unleashed, you should call animal control to protect you and your dog.

The information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva is based upon the generic and ambiguous facts presented in short questions. Without a full consultation with an attorney, you should not rely upon any information presented in this forum. The intricate facts of every case are different. The information provided is not legal advice and should not be the basis of any decision without the actual guidance of an attorney. Further, any information provided by Attorney Matthew V. Silva should not be perceived as a willingness to represent you or actual representation. If you would like to speak with Attorney Matthew V. Silva, please call Silva and Sweet, PLLC at 910-333-9833 or visit www.silvaandsweet.com.