Skip to main content

What would be the maximum punishment for criminal mischief felony in harris county tx

Spring, TX |

Either one jail time or probation

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


Depends. What level of felony are you asking about? The jail/fine ranges can be found in Texas Penal Code, Chapter 12. Most likely, you're talking about a State Jail Felony (damage is $1,500 to $20,000), which carries a sentence of 180 days to 2 years in state jail, and a possible fine not to exceed $10,000.

The above is for academic purposes and is not intended as legal advice. The response does not constitute the creation of an attorney client relationship as this forum does not provide for a confidential communication.


Felony criminal mischief is property damage valued at $1,500 to $20,000. A state jail sentence is 180 days to 2 years in state jail, and possibly a fine of up to $10,000. There is also a likelihood that the attorney might be able to work out a deal for county time.

It could be a felony of the third degree if the amount of the pecuniary loss is $20,000 or more but less than $100,000; a felony of the second degree if the amount of pecuniary loss is $100,000 or more but less than $200,000; or a felony of the first degree if the amount of pecuniary loss is $200,000 or more.

The information provided is not advice but a legal perspective and you should schedule a consultation with the lawyer of your choice.


You asked about jail time and probation. Probation could be up to 5 ot 10 years, depending on the level of felony.


Believe it or not, the maximum punishment is life in prison and a $10,000 fine. This punishment for this crime increases in line with the amount of damage caused. It can be anywhere from a class b misdemeanor to a first degree felony. Value of the damage is often a hotly contested issue. These cases are frequently overcharged. Hire a lawyer as soon as you can.

Criminal defense topics

Recommended articles about Criminal defense

What others are asking

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer