What would be the likely punishment for sending 5 x racist messages to a former employer

England, AR |

i am beibng ivestigated by staffs police and they say i have sent five racist text messages to a former employer, what would be the likely outcome if charged and conviceted, i have no previous convictions for this.

In what country are you located?

Harassing communications is a class A misdemeanor, up to a year in jail. Nobody can tell you the likely outcome if convicted. You should get a lawyer and ask the lawyer.

That sounds like bad conduct but racist speech is not per se illegal. I am not licensed in Arkansas but I looked this up and I wonder if this law "harassing communications" might not in practice infringe upon the First Amendment right to free speech. You should get a lawyer before you talk to the police and ask the lawyer.

(b)(1) HARASSING COMMUNICATIONS. A person commits the crime of harassing communications if, with intent to harass or alarm another person, he or she does any of the following:

a. Communicates with a person, anonymously or otherwise, by telephone, telegraph, mail, or any other form of written or electronic communication, in a manner likely to harass or cause alarm.

b. Makes a telephone call, whether or not a conversation ensues, with no purpose of legitimate communication.

c. Telephones another person and addresses to or about such other person any lewd or obscene words or language.

Nothing in this section shall apply to legitimate business telephone communications.

(2) Harassing communications is a Class C misdemeanor.

No legal representation exists by virtue of this answer. Consult your attorney. Licensed to practice law in Indiana and Illinois. Circular 230 Disclosure: any U.S. tax advice contained in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for the purpose of (i) avoiding penalties under the Internal Revenue Code, or (ii) promoting, marketing or recommending to another party any matters addressed herein.