What would be the least penalty for possession of a controlled substance Adderall?

New Albany, MS |
Filed under: Criminal defense

I was stopped in a co workers truck that is subscribed Adderall and he had it in his medicine bottle with no label and I was charged with possession of a schedule two controlled substance. What would be the least penalty for this charge or is there a way to beat this charge?

I would think a good defense attorney could be able to help you out of this situation. If this is your first felony, I would imagine you would get probation.

The state of Mississippi does not certify lawyers in any specific category of law and the decision to hire an attorney should be taken only after careful consideration. Jeff Padgett's profile and any answers to questions given is strictly for the purpose of advertising his services.

The penalties for possession of a controlled substance is determined based upon the quantity in your possession. Mississippi Code 41-29-139 outlines the penalties as follows:
(c) It is unlawful for any person knowingly or intentionally to possess any controlled substance unless the substance was obtained directly from, or pursuant to, a valid prescription or order of a practitioner while acting in the course of his professional practice, or except as otherwise authorized by this article. The penalties for any violation of this subsection (c) with respect to a controlled substance classified in Schedules I, II, III, IV or V, as set out in Section 41-29-113, 41-29-115, 41-29-117, 41-29-119 or 41-29-121, including marihuana or synthetic cannabinoids, shall be based on dosage unit as defined herein or the weight of the controlled substance as set forth herein as appropriate:
. . .
Any person who violates this subsection with respect to:
(1) A controlled substance classified in Schedule I or II . . .
(A) Less than one-tenth (0.1) gram or one (1) dosage unit or less may be charged as a misdemeanor or felony. If charged by indictment as a felony: by imprisonment not less than one (1) nor more than four (4) years and a fine not more than Ten Thousand Dollars ($10,000.00). If charged as a misdemeanor: by imprisonment for up to one (1) year and a fine not more than One Thousand Dollars ($1,000.00).
(B) One-tenth (0.1) gram but less than two (2) grams or two (2) dosage units but less than ten (10) dosage units, by imprisonment for not less than two (2) years nor more than eight (8) years and a fine of not more than Fifty Thousand Dollars ($50,000.00).
(C) Two (2) grams but less than ten (10) grams or ten (10) dosage units but less than twenty (20) dosage units, by imprisonment for not less than four (4) years nor more than sixteen (16) years and a fine of not more than Two Hundred Fifty Thousand Dollars ($250,000.00).
(D) Ten (10) grams but less than thirty (30) grams or twenty (20) dosage units but not more than forty (40) dosage units, by imprisonment for not less than six (6) years nor more than twenty-four (24) years and a fine of not more than Five Hundred Thousand Dollars ($500,000.00).
(E) Thirty (30) grams or more or forty (40) dosage units or more, by imprisonment for not less than ten (10) years nor more than thirty (30) years and a fine of not more than One Million Dollars ($1,000,000.00).

As you can see, the penalties can be very severe and you should immediately speak with a qualified attorney to discuss your options. Just because you were charged with a crime does not mean you are guilty of one.