What would be the best way to write a letter to the judge asking to get a restraining order dropped??

Denver, CO |

I need help on writing a letter to the judge asking to either drop or modifty the restraining order but my only problem is how to word it the right way..

1. It depends on whether on whether you are the victim or the defendant. If you are victim, you want to talk about the fact that it was an isolated incident, that you have a plan of action to prevent being subjected to abuse in the future, that you have family support, that the defendant is remorseful, that he or she understands that what they did was not right or acceptable, that the defendant is willing to engage in treatment for his problems, that no one is pressuring you to seek modification of the restraining order, that you know that you can always seek a civil restraining order if somethings should occur in the future (or seek modification again of this restraining order), and that you do not fear that the suspect will engage in further conduct such as this again. If you are the defendant, do NOT write a letter to the judge, as it will simply implicate yourself and let your attorney do the talking.

2. Mr. Leroi is correct, it depends whether you are the protected person or the defendant. If you are the defendant, you probably shouldn't try to do this. If you are the protected person you need to explain why the order is no longer necessary.

This answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is advisable to consult with an attorney with full disclosure of relevant facts for a comprehensive leagl opinion.

3. The victim would need to request the judge to dismiss the order and explain why he should do so.

If this information has been helpful, please indicate below. I hope my information is helpful to you. If you think this post was a good answer, please click the "Good Answer" button below and/or designate my answer as the "BEST ANSWER". Thanks. This is a general response to a question for basic information and is not legal advice. Legal advice can only be given when all of the facts of your situation are discussed with a lawyer, which we have not done.. If you reside outside the State of Texas please understand that the laws may be different from the laws that I may cite in a my comment. This comment is not to be construed as legal advice to your particular situation because there are many factors that influence legal counseling- this is simply a comment. Response to an email does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C., nor any of its attorneys. If you send us an e-mail, or call us, and we do not already represent you, neither your e-mail inquiry nor telephone call will create an attorney-client relationship. E-mails cannot necessarily be treated as privileged or confidential. Only entering into a written legal services contract with the Law Offices of Kevin R. Madison, P.C. will create an attorney-client relationship. There is no substitute for one-on-one legal advice and you are urged to meet with an attorney and discuss your case, personally, with an attorney in the state in which you reside or your case occurred. Thank you. Kevin R. Madison. Visit our website at www.kevinmadison.com and www.texassexualharassmentattorney.com. Kevin Madison, Austin, Texas- representing injured persons in motor vehicle collision, truck and motorcucle accidents and representing victims of sexual harassment, sexual assault, sexual abuse, physical assaults, and representing victims of sexual exploitation committed by doctors, therapists, psychologists, psychiatrists, clergy, counselors, priests, and rabbis. Visit our sexual harassment/sexual exploitation blog at http://texassexualharassmentattorney.com/blog/